If you’re in the process of interviewing listing agents for the right to sell your home, here are five tips that will help you pick the right one:
1. Ask for reviews and references. If you were considering hiring me, for instance, I’d encourage you to reach out to other sellers who’ve hired me so you can learn about their experiences. You can also check an agent’s reviews online.
2. Weigh the pros and cons of hiring a local expert. Many buildings have a resident agent who’s made a small fortune selling their neighbors’ homes over time, but these neighborhood experts can limit what you can get for your sale price. Not only can they be sensitive to their reputation and be less bold, but they typically aren’t up to speed on crucial factors like population movements.
"If you follow these tips, you’ll pick the right agent and love the choice you made."
3. Inquire about sales statistics (e.g., how many homes an agent has sold in that last 12 months). I provide all of my seller clients with my listing statistics, including my median days on market and my median sale price.
4. Ask if they’ll customize a marketing strategy for your property. Each property needs a game plan. An experienced agent, such as myself, should have many strategies for different types of situations. In addition to knowing what to do, they should have a team in place to implement their strategy.
5. Make sure their personality meshes with yours. There are plenty of agents in this city who have great sales statistics, but the bottom line is you have to like who you work with and they have to like what they’re doing. If they like what they’re doing, that will lead to a win-win situation for everyone involved in the transaction.
If you follow these tips, you’ll pick the right agent and love the choice you made.
If you have any more questions about how to pick the right listing agent or you have any other real estate needs I can help you with, feel free to call or email me. I’d love to hear from you.